No doubt, vinyl siding one of the most common exterior building materials. But is your home prepared for the same? Yes, it is essential to make your exteriors ready beforehand to avoid any problems in future. Here is the information stating advantages of vinyl sidings and how to prepare you home for installation.
Want to make your home ready to combat the adversities of weather?
Looking for a perfect protection?
It is understood; your home is a big investment and you want to keep it safe. Hence, when it comes to make some improvements to your home, you don’t want to compromise. Now if it is about interiors, painting you home every few years turns out to be an expensive deal, isn’t it? So now arises the need to have a virtually maintenance free home. How?
Your answer is with premium vinyl siding. It is widely becoming the number one choice of most homeowners. In U.S. it has turned out to be the most popular siding material. Wondering why?
What are the advantages of vinyl siding?
Here are some good reasons why you must consider vinyl siding for your home:
- Versatility: You can pick the one which suits your home’s persona. There is a large variety available including hundreds of colors, textures, and profiles. Moreover, you can find a vinyl siding style which that works with both horizontal and vertical applications.
- Reduces Heating and Cooling Costs: Do you know insulated vinyl siding prevents heat loss? It is referred to “thermal bridging” and it offers insulation between the wall studs. Simply, installing these siding you place a blanket of protection over the studs. Thus, it keeps your home warmer in winter and cooler in summer.
- Durability: Made to withstand various elements, including heavy wind and impact from hail, vinyl siding are best to resist excessive moisture. Hence, you hardly need to worry for it won’t rot or corroding.
- Free Maintenance: This type of siding offers a low maintenance. Being resistant to pests like termites and blights, it remains fresh and beautiful for many years to come. So, it offers you your money’s worth
- Cost-efficient:The biggest reason why it becoming a popular choice is that it is quite cost effective. And you can reduce the cost significantly by working on the installation yourself.
But before you start with the installation, it is essential to prepare your home for the same. Having no idea what to do? Find out some preparatory steps to make your property ready for vinyl siding installation.
How to Prepare Your House for Vinyl Siding Installation?
- Start with removal of all downspouts, shutters, and fixtures. If your home is an older one, ensure to replace any rotten wood. Plus, securely nail those loose boards, siding, and wood trim.
- Having shrubbery, trees, or plantings close to the house? You need to tie back all of them and remove any old caulking around windows and doors.
- When you need to apply flashing, you can go with some material which will not absorb water, for instance use aluminum trim coil. Carefully apply it below, on the sides of, and above the openings, from where water might penetrate.
- Coming to strapping; it must be applied to form an even base for siding. Wedge down the low spots to create even surface and apply 1” x 3” (minimum size) wood furring. You need to follow a simple rule, when working with horizontal siding, you must install furring vertically. And when doing vertical siding, go for furring horizontally.
- In some areas, housewrap is a necessary thing. If required by building codes, you can go with weather-resistant barrier over the sheathing.
- To increase the insulation value of your sidewall, simply install insulating sheathing over existing siding. Make sure it is done before installing siding.
- Finally, determine a starting point from where you will start installing your siding. Generally, it should be the lowest point. Ensure proper measures at corners, and shim, if required.
When you are done with these before your siding installation job, you are all set to embrace the finest sliding. It will help your home look beautiful with your new vinyl siding!